Fuel Guage

Moderators: RFdemon, Site Team

Russell
Antispam - What is 3 x 12?: 36

Fuel Guage

Post by Russell » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:45 am

Hi everybody,I've just joined the site having just purchased a 2008 Fuel injected xjr 1300, my last bike being a 600 bandit 18yrs ago so a long time off 2 wheels. The xjr is a beautiful bike without doubt and I've always wanted one.
After picking it up it needed fuel according to the gauge,i topped it up and it only required about £15 worth which didn't seem much as apparently it has a 21 ltr tank,Had a nice ride home approx 35 miles and during the ride the fuel gauge dropped 1 section which i thought could be about right,when i got on my drive and put it on the side stand it read half a tank,which it has stayed on since (after 35 miles) i stood the bike upright and looked in the tank with a torch,as i thought a match or lighter was a bit risky :giggle: and not a great deal of fuel is missing. So my question to you experienced xjr owners out there is have any of you had a similar issue and what did you do to sort it, according to the gauge it does about 70 miles to a tank which obviously is not correct :? Many Thanks in advance.

harris
Membership Sec
Membership Sec

Re: Fuel Guage

Post by harris » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:18 am

The 21 litre tank should get you 160 plus with conservative riding, heavy traffic a lot less obviously. Sounds like the sender unit could be on the blink but I've not heard it's common on this model.

BASS 666
Paid up...
Paid up...

Post by BASS 666 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:24 am

dont worry about it ... i sit on my bike and keep it straight then turn the ignition on when going out ... when you fill up just do the same thing or if you want to warm the bike up and then get on it i just have mine on the center stand .. the gauge is crap the way it reads wrong when you turn the ignition on when its on the side stand so just keep it straight ....

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:04 pm

Thanks i will give that a try,that would certainly be a nice easy fix. :)

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:25 pm

Thankyou BASS 666 your advise on turning the ignition on with the bike stood upright to sort out the fuel gauge has worked a treat, :dance: enjoyed going out today knowing whats in the tank.