Riding in Spain (new penalties)

Useful Travel Information - Roads, Accomodation, Travel Logs, etc.

Moderator: Site Team

Playtime
Antispam - What is 3 x 12?: 36

Riding in Spain (new penalties)

Post by Playtime » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:45 pm

WARNING TO ALL RIDERS TRAVELING INTO SPAIN!!! PLEASE SHARE on FB etc. and warn as many as possible. SPEEDING FINES ARE NOW BEING ISSUED FOR BEING JUST 1KM (ONE) OVER THE SPEED LIMIT!

I'd really love to get your opinion on this folks, especially if it would make you avoid riding into Spain altogether as I occasionally oporate bike tours here in Spain. So if you have the time to reply with any form of opinion on this as I'd really appreciate it. Read on for more info on this insane new money making scheme of the Spanish Government.

Fines are typically between €60 and €600 and even a relatively minor offence will see you facing a €500 fine and 4 points on your licence. E.g. crossing a solid white central line = a €400 fine, this is nothing new, however the Spanish cops now have more powers to enforce these fines.

The 1st really big change is that the Spanish Guardia Civil and Traffic Police are now issuing fines to drivers being just 1km (ONE KM) over the posted speed limit. This law came into effect on the 9th of May 2014 - just in time for the tourist season. And it gets worse;

BE WARNED - The Guardia Civil are operating under a bonus payment scheme related to the amount of tickets/fines they issue. THE MORE FINES THEY ISSUE - THE MORE PAY THEY GET, so rest assured, they are out to get you!

The 2nd big change to Spanish law is the following - The Guardia Civil only have to observe you, they no longer need to stop you in order to issue a fine, it can now be sent to you you via post. Fines and potential points loss are not limited to Spanish registered vehicles, penalties are about to become borderless due to an EU directive and the Spanish authorities are more than happy to comply.

My opinion on this is that it's basically a highway robbery scheme targeting tourists especially, sanctioned by the Spanish Government and mostly enforced by an armed Military Police Force with a very poor reputation for their people skills. That might sound a bit harsh, but spending so much time here in Spain I've developed a rather low opinion of the Guardia Civil who have nothing in comon with our Garda Siochana who I hold in extreemly high regard.

These new laws only came into effect 3 weeks ago and it remains to be seen how much impact or enforcement the new laws will have on those driving or riding in Spain. However, due to these two new laws there is the potential for e.g. an Irish rider to return home from a tour of the Pyrenees/Picos (without ever being stopped) to find a pile of fines waiting at the doorstep.

For off-road riders there are new laws that will affect you too. Up until now Spain has been a fantastic destination for trail riders. However local or municipal/provincial governments will now have the power to place environmental restrictions in many areas, basically motorbikes and 4X4's will be banned or severely restricted in many areas. Again at this early stage it is impossible to know how big an impact this will make. But the writing is most assuredly on the wall and trail riding across the Pyrenees, on the Spanish side at least may soon be a distant memory.

Sadly in some cases animals now have more rights than you or I. Under the new laws wild game now have the right of way at all times. So, for example, if a deer jumps out in front of you causing an accident the driver or rider is now 100% at fault, he/she will receive no compensation and may easily be subject to a fine/points unless it can be unquestionably proved the animal was driven onto the road by a hunter or an organised hunt taking place within the previous 12 hours! If a pillion is injured you may face criminal or dangerious driving charges on top of everything else. There are well over 200 game reserves in Spain, not including the Picos or Pyrenees regions.

Another of the new laws states that in many towns the speed limit has now been reduced from 30km to 20km, remember, the cops now only have to observe you riding at 21kmph in a 20kmph zone to issue a fine, they do not have to prove or show any evidence of speed violation!

Fines and penalties for drink driving were extremely harsh before, and rightly so, but they have now been doubled. I've invested in an electronic re-usable breathaliser as I'm fond of a few pints and don't fancy my bike being confiscated, loss of licence, a €6000 fine and/or a 6 month vacation in a Guardia Civil run prison.

On a happier note on some stretches of motorway the speed limit has been increased from 120kmph to 130kmph.

As I said, I'd love to know if any of that would put you off riding in Spain?

Safe riding folks,

Denis.Smyth@RoadTrooper.com.
we are not here for a long time so lets have a good time

Lampy
Chairman
Chairman

Re: Riding in Spain (new penalties)

Post by Lampy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:46 pm

Nothing like making tourists feel welcome :roll: It could bite them in the arse big time :twisted:
SO MANY LAMPOSTS...........so little time . . . . STUPID PLACE TO PUT A WALL WASNT IT !!!!!
OH DEER !!!!

chairman@yamahaxjrownersclub.com

Tradesman

Post by Tradesman » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:48 pm

Thanks for the post..

In the really unlikely event id bother riding in spain, i'll have to grab me a new plate for the trip, reading " DO 1 ".
slip the night from a shaved pack..

JT
Paid up...
Paid up...
Antispam - What is 3 x 12?: 48

Post by JT » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:46 am

Thanx for the info. We've seen and heard of strong measures introduced to target motorists and especially bikers, mainly in France previously, has it stopped anybody going there, not that I know of, we still do. There will be some that are frightened off but until you get caught or it happens to you I think the majority will carry on. They can't be everywhere all the time and in my experience in the Pyrenees you barely see any coppers. 'Kept throttle pinned', out of town ;-)
Yellow XJR SP 'Simply the Best'

Wolf

Post by Wolf » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:00 am

There are penalties here for going over 30, 60, and 70 mph speed limits. Can't say I have seen too many bikers feeling restricted on a Sunday afternoon - I guess the same will be true over there.

Lampy
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Lampy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:06 am

The bits that caught my eye was "observed" to be breaking the speed limit and " being paid" for results" .....
SO MANY LAMPOSTS...........so little time . . . . STUPID PLACE TO PUT A WALL WASNT IT !!!!!
OH DEER !!!!

chairman@yamahaxjrownersclub.com

Glider
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Glider » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:50 am

As I remember the Spanish police were notoriously corrupt in Franco's day, I guess the good times are coming back for them.

Innocent before being proven guilty - utter rubbish and not needed with a modern, public-spirited and fair police force as we have today. :roll:
Not long before the MEPs decide its a good money spinner and should be applied universally to cover their ever increasing expenses.

PLEASE DON'T STEAL - the Government hates competition

Email: treasurer@yamahaxjrownersclub.com

Stray

Post by Stray » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:06 am

This sort of sh!t really p!sses me off.

With ever-increasing surveillance, online tracking and tightening laws it feels as though we are sleepwalking into a police state.

The police and authorities used to focus their energies on bad people doing bad things. Now they are targeting ordinary citizens. We are not exactly the Crays for fu(k's sake!

Taxes are being extracted from every orifice and these fines are just another revenue stream. They won't be happy until we are all quietly locked away in our rooms ordering things from Amazon like hermits. Woe betide anyone who ventures outside!

Tradesman

Post by Tradesman » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:22 am

Stray wrote:This sort of sh!t really p!sses me off.

With ever-increasing surveillance, online tracking and tightening laws it feels as though we are sleepwalking into a police state
Well, that's because most are, matey! Facebook was the greatest trap everyone fell into.

But it has to be said, save your speed for the track ( bwt, 1st track day booked 8th april !! )
Or the appropriate empty mountain roads, simply because, it is practical to - 40 in a 40 is enough of an endurance test in itself around those car driving mongs.

I know this is about spain, but in all honesty, fcuk spain, theres plenty great riding here. And our speed laws are alright. We have a 70 limit, and we dont get hammered for going over it a bit. We all know theres places we can wind on a bit and we do it sensibly. If we upped the speed limit here to say 100, moron cagers would do 120 - and most cagers, as we know, really aren't skilled enough to drive at speed.

There was an issue a few years back with the police and bikes in north wales mountain roads, people coming to use it as the great race track that it is. Then there was this big stand off, them realising the dip in tourism to the area with their OTT draconian measures towards bikers, and then it sort of levelled out, the bikers taking the piss less, and plod backed off. And then what did they do? Spent 2 years laying down the most sublime good quality tarmac and shell-grip in all the right places :D

Although, personally i feel, and always have and will.... http://youtu.be/l62UTsRQ6qY

Stray

Post by Stray » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:36 am

True about the rozzers in Wales. Although I have seen an increasing number of hidden Police vehicles in motorway laybys since Christmas.

When the economy has slumped and public services are being slashed (including law/traffic enforcement and roadbuilding) we should not be surprised when the motorist cash-cow gets over-milked to cover the shortfall. That applies both in Spain and the UK. Has happened with predictable regularity in the past so expect it to continue.

S

Tradesman

Post by Tradesman » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:33 am

I was talking to my neighbour yesterday, he has a house in spain, lives there part time..

He said a lot of interesting things, but two i liked were; the police have limited fuel expense, and when they run out, they have to return to the station,, and that at his golf course, there are two white lines, one you are allowed to cross ( dont ask me to explain ) and one you are not - but theyve been hovering a helicopter over one to catch and fine people who do. He said there is a huge drive to collect revenue from car drivers.

Much the same as in uk, really - who else is going to pay for that nice audi r6 that the black-rat hypocrite ponce was driving when he nabbed me on a mates bike for his barely illegal number plate..