Bringing an old subject back to life.....

This is where to post/find all rideouts and monthly meets taking place in Rest of the World.

Moderator: Site Team

Wolf
Antispam - What is 3 x 12?: 36

Bringing an old subject back to life.....

Post by Wolf » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:20 am

Had lots of time to get a better look at the forum over christmas, and I notice a few areas haven't been used in a while.

Just to start a discussion on this bit here is a rough map of a trip I've been planning for a few years. Now I have a suitable touring bike, rather than a sportsbike, I'm looking at it again. Maybe 2 months to do it properly but a lot of riding - anyone ever considered a big tour like this or be tempted onto this one?

JT
Paid up...
Paid up...
Antispam - What is 3 x 12?: 48

Re: Bringing an old subject back to life.....

Post by JT » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:53 am

Now then Wolf

That's a hell of a trip, couldn't take that amount of time off work :lol: Hope it becomes reallity for ya Mate, I look forward to the write up and pics, Good Luck :thumbs:
Yellow XJR SP 'Simply the Best'

jonnylimey
Antispam - What is 3 x 12?: 48

Post by jonnylimey » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:58 am

My friends and I are hoping to do the first leg, i.e. up into the Arctic Circle, in 2012 but haven't researched it properly yet. I'm not sure what time of year to go, but am assuming that the XJR is up to it.

Mike Carter's book Uneasy Rider ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Uneasy-Rider-Tr ... 0091922682 ) is well worth a read - he spends a lot of time in that part of the world on his GS, which I guess is the ideal bike for that sort of run, but no way I can afford to run one as well as the XJR.

Good Luck!

Wolf

Post by Wolf » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:52 am

I must have every motorcycle touring book ever written (got three more for christmas), I have the LWR video and book, and am a member of HU and ADVrider forums. I've been in Europe on the fireblade and now I'm keen to go further afield so I guess I'm a bike touring addict (or at least would like to be). Its the major reason I sold the sportsbike to get a luggage carrier - pity you already did the Italy trip....

I've already been up to the arctic (see below) and have friends in Denmark and Sweden, so for me the top half is a no-brainer. I've always wanted to see Russia so that is a must, but from there its a lottery as to which route is best back to western Europe.

Me and a couple of pals 400 miles inside the arctic circle!

red

Post by red » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:56 am

What a fantastic rideout that is. :eusadance:
I wish I had the dosh to do that one. I might have to have the bike looked at before I would undertake an adventure like that.
I hope you get the opportunity to do it. :thumbs:

givitsum

Post by givitsum » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:23 pm

Wolf I spent the winter of 03/04 planning the northern bit of your trip. I didn't fancy Russia and the Ukraine much and intended coming back from Finland via the Baltic States and Poland. There are good ferry services across the Baltic.

After months of reading about midgies - rain - 45mph speed limits and the cost of a beer in Norway a good soaking on the Oli Mills run in the Lake District in June made me see sense and I headed as far south as my map of europe would take me instead. All the way down to Dubrovnik in fact and the start of my love affair with Croatia.

I was at a talk last night by a wildlife photographer who spent from mid-May to mid-July up in the north of Norway and he says the midgies or mozzies and other biting insects are to be experienced to be believed. The birds love em though and feed their chicks to bursting with them in the short summer at those latitudes. His photographs were fantastic.

Oh - and I know you didn't plan on going that way but he says the Newcastle/Bergen ferry that he used doesn't run any more. I had my eye on one that sails between Iceland and Bergen with a stop in the Shetland Isles. I thought that might be an interesting way to get to Norway via Scrabster and Orkney.

I've actually done the bit from Harwich to Hook of Holland and up by Copenhagen where you go over the bridge to Sweden so I didn't need to go that way again.

I've always found if I spend too much time planning a trip I feel as if I've been and done it and lose the notion to go in the end. I've saved a fortune that way :D

I'm sure you'll make it though and I'll look forward to the write-up.

givit :thumbs:

Wolf

Post by Wolf » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:06 am

It will definately get done at some point, but cash and work commitments always seem to get in the way at present. But its a major reason I ditched the sportsbike for the XJR so its on the horizon just asking to be ridden....

I love touring but my stomach hates boats, so that's why is outward and back via the tunnel rather than over the water. Plus as I work for one of the world's biggest travel management companies I have no problem with obtaining visa's etc at short notice (let me know if you guys ever need one as our visa manager in London is a biker!) and I'm happy to sit in the saddle all day as long as I'm enjoying it, so not concerned about mileages. Last year I racked up many 500+ days on the Fireblade but that now hurts my slightly arthritic wrist, and needed too many fuel stops, so looking forward to putting some mileage on the XJR.

Pity Eurofest is so close otherwise I would have been well up for another trip to Italy etc.

givitsum

Post by givitsum » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:47 pm

MPG was my gripe with the XJR on the long haul. She was fine for comfort and performance but 39-42mpg adds up to a lot of money over five thousand miles. Wouldn't be surprised if your XJR was needing a new rear tyre by the time you reach Russia or the Ukraine but no doubt they are available. They run a long time on the canvas if no one is looking - ask Heath about that :wickedgrin:

I feel the old itch coming on again - it was supposed to be Morocco this spring but haven't decided yet. I will know better what I can afford once I've paid my electricity bill for this winter. My Tenere does over 60mpg and 250 miles to the tankfull so that's a bonus but the perch isn't as comfy as the XJR worse luck.

cheers - givit ;-)