STE'S ÉLAN VALLEY MEMORIAL RUN 2015

This is where to post/find all rideouts and monthly meets taking place in Wales.

Moderator: Site Team

yamy66
Paid up...
Paid up...
Antispam - What is 3 x 12?: 36

Re: STE'S ÉLAN VALLEY MEMORIAL RUN 2015

Post by yamy66 » Sun May 17, 2015 7:23 pm

Well we missed the Fri night so tried to make up for it by setting off at 04:30 Sat morning - got there at 09:00 feckin freezin ! Managed a get a couple of cooked breakfasts to warm us through - missed the rideout but myself and Julie went through Elan Valley later on our own . Good night Sat night ( we started on the afternoon ) and a steady ride home this morning - Got home just before 14:00 - Thanks to Sharky for sorting the room out for us! Nice to meet everyone again as well as the new faces ( for me anyway).
Would definately do it again next year ..............( just not early on the Sat morning ). Had a good weekend - total miles 650 -more than I have done for a while but well worth it ............. like Jooles i'm waiting for JT's pics!

Hello to all from Julie as well!
I know what your thinkin................. but its still not RED enough!

Tradesman

Post by Tradesman » Sun May 17, 2015 7:29 pm

who the hell slammed the door at 6.30am? :wickedgrin:

2 & 3am to bed. Saturday a totally lobotomising hangover until an evening cider cured it.

Excellent weekend, Excellent people.

Great ride & pace from Sharkey :thumbs:
slip the night from a shaved pack..

JT
Paid up...
Paid up...
Antispam - What is 3 x 12?: 48

Post by JT » Sun May 17, 2015 7:33 pm

Brilliant, brilliant weekend :D , sooo much to remember and write about, probably take me a week but rest assured it will all be here ;-)
Yellow XJR SP 'Simply the Best'

Filo

Post by Filo » Mon May 18, 2015 7:30 am

Well, that's got to be the best weekend yet with the club and it made a change for me to have Sonia with me on the bike :D WE set off about 9.30ish on Friday and arrived at the Elan Valley Hotel at 13.45, unpacked the bike, locked it up and headed to reception to book in. after we finally found someone, it turned out we were in the wrong hotel :temper: :lol: . Soooo off we went up into Rhayader where we found the Elan hotel. It was great to see some new faces that we only knew by name before hand, and the regular peeps.

We decided to join the Elan GP on the Saturday Morning and took up the position of back markers which for the first bit was fine and we kept up with the pack, (well we could see them afar anyways) :lol:

once we got into it, the pace quickened and we were left in the dust but really enjoyed the beautiful scenery and the 2nd man drop off was a god send and we were guided to each destination nicely :applause1: :respekt:

I'll let JT fill you in on all the finer details but I would just like to say a great big thank you to Sharky for organising the rooms and rideout.

We got back yesterday at 13.45 after setting off around 9.30ish then calling for fuel and having a quick stop to put a fleece on.

only managed 460 miles over the weekend but over the past 11 months I have ridden 4100 weekend miles which is mega for me as the previous year I managed about 1000. :D

I took a few piccies and vids on the ride out which I will post up. The vids, although crystal clear on my laptop have suffered once uploaded to Youtube so the quality is a bit poo :(

See you all soon

Daz and Sonia

xxx :hug:

Diego

Post by Diego » Mon May 18, 2015 10:09 am

Daz did you find my tank bag strap on your rack mate?
Once you have had Black you never go back!! (so she says ha)

http://www.bull-it.com

http://www.buzzpeople.co.uk

Filo

Post by Filo » Mon May 18, 2015 10:36 am

Ah so it was yours..... I thought I had dropped it. Giz ya address and ill post it over bud. :D I found it on the floor under my engine.

Diego

Post by Diego » Mon May 18, 2015 10:58 am

Filo wrote:Ah so it was yours..... I thought I had dropped it. Giz ya address and ill post it over bud. :D I found it on the floor under my engine.
PM sent mate :thumbs:

Filo

Post by Filo » Mon May 18, 2015 11:28 am

A few piccies from the ride out chaps to wet your whistle.

Daz

Filo

Post by Filo » Mon May 18, 2015 1:47 pm

Couple of videos of the ride out. Firstly I must apologise for the crap quality. Blame You Tube as all clips are perfect when played on my laptop direct from the Camera or indeed from the SD Card. Need some pointers on how to stop this happening again.

Personally I prefer the second vid.

here goes, enjoy....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTdxho6_PRc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_-glbvGxOg

Filo

Post by Filo » Mon May 18, 2015 2:00 pm

And a few more.....

JT
Paid up...
Paid up...

Post by JT » Mon May 18, 2015 8:40 pm

Some great pics there Daz :applause1:

Fri 15th May

We’d had one stop

on the way to have a look at a new dining suite in Birmingham on the way down to Rhayader so it meant we came into Wales a slightly different way than usual. We picked the A456 up from Halesowen. It was a nice wide A road with plenty of over taking spots and traffic was pretty much as expected for a Friday afternoon. With Rhayader as our destination the Sat Nav took us through Kidderminster and at Callow Hill we turned right onto the very nice A4117. Then after a short stint on the A49 it took us onto the sublime A4113. This is a class road that gets the juices going for the next piece of amazing black ribbon running through the land of the ‘ Large Leak’. The scenery is fantastic along this road, with rolling grass covered hills and rock faces poking out here and there. The sun was shining bright and everything was working as it should, including rider and passenger. After 10 miles we entered Wales and followed the border to our right, to Knighton. Here we veered off and picked up the A488 heading for Crossgates on the A44. The A488 is a little gem of a road. Up, down, round this way, round that way, eh up heres a blind crest followed by a tight right then hairpin left, brilliant. The road is lined tight to the verge with trees and hedges one minute then pig wire fencing open fields the next. It was a perfect way to get the riding in gear for this weekend’s riding. Turning right onto the A44 at Penybont it was 10 short miles to The Elan Hotel in Rhayader.

The town looked busy and we were surprised to see only two bikes in the car park but Ryan, Filo and Sonia were sat talking to Craig who was running the hotel this year. Craig was a younger lad a few years back when he was learning his trade but he has grown into a very confident and capable young man who looked after us a treat this weekend. He not only booked people in, served drinks he was also the chef, hard industry catering, I hope when the new owners get the keys they appreciate Craig and keep him on in a position that he deserves. I didn’t want to start drinking too early and end up ‘in a mess’ tonight so set off on soft drinks !! Not like me but I tried me best lol. Showered and freshened up we ate pringles bought by Sonia from the Spar along the road to stave off starvation. I popped over the road and hired a ‘Hybrid’ pushbike for my early morning ride tomorrow morning when everyone else would still be in their ‘fart sack’. The guy in the small wooden shack shop was spot on and very helpful. Once I’d paid for the bike and new water bottle I took the bike over to our hotel and put it in a back room, out of the way ready for tomorrow.

No one else turned up for while but then everyone seemed to come at once. It sounded like a squadron of Spitfires arriving down the side of the hotel when Mick SP, Jooles, Diego & Lou, Zigzag and Tradesman arrived. Then while they were dismounting, Sharky and Sue came into the car park, followed by Rich Ex & Kaye in their car.

Jooles bike looked stunning, the black speed block paint scheme looks a million dollars. If I were to have any other coloured XJR it would be a black speed block paint scheme for me. Matt was on his special and special it looked with upside downies and his handmade top yolk the highlights of the bike for me. It had a good stance and he looked in the right riding position all over the weekend :thumbs:

In the bar Nick Loftus txt me to say they where here, tent was up and they would be down soon. Everyone that was coming had a arrived, all had dumped their gear in their respective rooms and we could relax and enjoy the night. We all ate in the hotel and the drink started to flow, you know what it’s like, first night excitement an’ all that. Plates were cleared away and before long the entertainment started. We had a few games of pool to start off then all the lads plus Kaye and Jane played ’Killer’ on the pool table. Three lives were handed out to all and after two re-racks Rich walked away with about £38. We then had another game which had one re-rack where Filo won about £25 I think and then we moved onto Killer on the dart board and Sharky won the last pot of the night, around £25 again. A great first night was had by all and we eventually all turned in to get some ‘kip’.

tbc......

JT
Paid up...
Paid up...

Post by JT » Thu May 21, 2015 5:34 am

Cont......

Sat 16th May

I was up and out of the hotel by 04:50 on the ‘Hybrid’ bike. I rode the first bit of the route we would take through the Elan Valley later today on the XJR’s. It was a little damp but nothing too bad and after a very short, light shower, as I climbed out of Rhayader, the weather improved and the sun appeared bright in the sky. I rode past two reservoirs which were absolutely brimming with water which was good to see. The birds were singing, rabbits were running about and the lambs must be born late in Rhayader because they were still in their cute stage, I could’ve stopped and snuggled one easily, if I could’ve caught one lol. the morning was beautiful and the scenery stunning in the now bright rising sun. The road surface was a little rough in places but the bikes saddle was like a settee compared to my MTB and Racer ‘rasor blade’ seats at home lol and with the tyres not fully pumped we glided over the holes etc. No traffic at this time of the morning so the road was mine. It felt like a constant climb from Rhayader, past the reservoirs and tuff work after the drink last night but it felt good and I pushed on even though the seating position, bars, pedals and brakes were all foreign to me.

After 13 miles I’d climbed 600ft and was at the junction where I turned right to head back for Rhayader. Another short easy steady climb and I’d reached the top of my ride. I didn’t know it at his point but I was about to have the longest continious downhill run I’ve ever had on a pushbike. As I crested the hill and saw the valley below me, the speed demon in me came to the fore. I got my breath back in an instant and the concentration was high. Two fingers each side of the handlebar stem, nose touching the top of the stem, not hard for me lol, arse off the back of the seat and all tucked in I soon gained a decent speed. I bloody flew down that road, it was fantastic, what a buzz. The tyres weren’t meant for this type of riding but I was in the zone and let her roll. I di have to ‘anchor up’ and locked the rear up at one point when two [Censored, 10 lines of "I will not swear on XJROC" Please] sheep ran across the road infront of me but I after swearing out loud at the daft bastards I was soon composed again and ‘flat oot’. An educated guess would say I reached 45mph at the fastest point, adrenaline rush ‘in spades’. The downhill stretch ran right to Rhayader and lasted 4 miles with very little pedaling and made the other 14 mile climb worth every bit of it. I locked the bike up to the downpipe outside the shop as agreed the day before and walked into the Elan Hotel at 07:50. Back down after my shower and Jooles appeared in the lounge part of the bar where i was talking the night watchman. Matt was next to appear and Daz and Sonia. Craig arrived and we were soon having our full English. Everyone rose and ate before too long and we got our gear on, helmets and headed to Crossgates to meet anyone coming just for the rideout.

Zigzags front tyre was about empty of air and so he nipped tp the local garage to pump her up and then would see how it ‘faired’. There was no one coming on the rideout, at the cafe when we arrived apart from a little bloke on a Trumpet, Freddy. The bugger had said nowt to no one and just turned up, it was a brilliant surprise and great to see and old friend unexpectedly. We stood about, chatted, talked bollox and bikes and generally took the piss, as we do to pass the time.

Nick and Jane arrived on their bikes and all was good

And Nick, Steph, Dee and Sue arrived in the Merc 'back ip' vehicle lol

Being the quiet type I was lucky to get talking to a Dutch lad who pulled in on a ZX10. Him and a couple of mates had been 'riving' round Wales and were heading off home today, they'd had a brilliant time.

A lad pulled in on a BMW RnineT which I love the look of and just had to get a pic, which he was quite happy to pose for

Gary’s tyre had gone straight back down. Matt and a couple of the other lads had a look and deduced it was his valve. I could tell Gary was having a moment and told him to calm down, go get it fixed and if we’ve gone, you know where were going, meet us en-route. Next the garage forecourt compressor wouldn’t fit his valve, more stress ! eventually Matt stepped in and got some air into his tyre, top man, and Gary set off to get his valve looked at at the nearest petrol, mechanical garage in……… Rhayader lol. After a while, Lesley and I rode to meet him and see how he was ‘getting on’. He came the other way after a couple of miles so we carried on the Rhayader and waited for the riders to come our way.

tbc..........

sharky

Post by sharky » Thu May 21, 2015 3:44 pm

Sorry for the delay in posting, my internet connection has been playing up! :temper:

We had a great weekend again :!: :!: 8)

Our run down was a blast with good weather all the way. Stopping off at the OK diner on the A38 for some grub.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theshar ... ort=3&o=29
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theshar ... ort=3&o=28

Next stop was at Newtown for some go go juice before a detour down the A483 to cross Gates! :twisted: I just can't help meself lol.
We arrived at the elan just about the same time as most of the others, so timing was pretty good.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theshar ... ort=3&o=30

I quickly sorted out the room changes, and got peeps sorted with their keys, then off to get changed and get some drinks.
We had a brill evening playing pool and darts and enjoying everyone's company. :hug:
Fed and coffee'd up the next morning, we set off for cross gates. Unfortunately Gary had a flat front tyre, but that we got sorted so he could still come on the ride :)
We ended leaving cross gates late as we were waiting Ste's brother and sister in law to show up. Alas we had to leave before they got there, but they went on to meet us in Aberystwyth :hello:
The run through the valley was great as it has been for many years, and good progress was made :twisted: but in spurts so as not to leave anyone behind. The dams looked awesome, and the road was quiet too. We stopped at two of the dams for Piccys and ciggys, and then once more at Devils bridge for some refreshments.
Nick,Steph, Sue and Dee were following in the car, at some good pace as could be told from the girls faces when they arrived :lol: nice one Nick :thumbs:
As we came into aber I thought id take a scenic route which had us riding around in a circle, but it was funny all the same :oops: :lol: :lol:
Plenty of food and drink on the prom, and Pete and Julie came along to see us :hello:
( that's Ste's brother and wife)
Then off for the run back.
We shot down the A44 and then up to Newtown for fuel before taking that famous A483 back to cross gates again.
We had good pace up to Newtown but the 483 was another story! :twisted:
Wow what a piece of road!!!
We have raved about it before, but oh my god for some reason this year it was even better!
If anyone hasn't done this run before, please come next year if only for this bit! Lol.
I got to the other end and had to wait a couple of minutes for JT Leslie and Mick to arrive, and we all had massive grins on our faces :D everyone else pulled up too and we headed back to the hotel, again we got there somewhat quickly :twisted:
We all had another good evening talking bollox and re running the days antics on Micky and JT's cameras. Craig the manager went and got us a TV so we could watch the footage, and that pissed the girls off! Lol only joking lol.
We had a good ride home to if a bit chilly, but I must say a massive thanks to everyone who came!
This is not just a brilliant run anymore. It means so much more to me now that Ste has gone.
So a massive thank you to you all, and I was so chuffed to hear everyone saying how much they had enjoyed themselves :respekt: :hug: ;-)
I have booked the entire hotel again for next year, and I have posted the details for next years run already too.
Can you tell I can't wait? Lol.
Thanks again to you all for making a brilliant weekend :respekt: :respekt: :respekt:
Some pics for your enjoyment ;-)
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theshar ... ort=3&o=31

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theshar ... ort=3&o=32

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theshar ... ort=3&o=26

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theshar ... ort=3&o=27

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theshar ... ort=3&o=25

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theshar ... ort=3&o=24

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theshar ... sort=3&o=0

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theshar ... sort=3&o=2

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theshar ... ort=3&o=13

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theshar ... ort=3&o=16

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theshar ... ort=3&o=11

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theshar ... sort=3&o=7

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theshar ... ort=3&o=12

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theshar ... ort=3&o=19

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theshar ... ort=3&o=22

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theshar ... sort=3&o=4

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theshar ... ort=3&o=10

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theshar ... sort=3&o=6

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theshar ... sort=3&o=3
ride it like ya stole it

Diego

Post by Diego » Thu May 21, 2015 4:01 pm

:hello: :drunk: :applause1:

JT
Paid up...
Paid up...

Post by JT » Fri May 22, 2015 5:40 am

Cont.........
It seemed like ages before the group arrived but they did eventually and we jumped in 2nd behind Adam. We rode through Rhayader and out onto the Elan Valley route. We stopped at our first dam which happens to be the Dam that ‘Hammond’ used for his stunt of driving a Land Rover up the side of a resrvoir on Top Gear earlier this year, before the shit hit the fan lol. When we got to the top there was a few guys stood about, outdoor army type guys and one of them motioned us to slow, even though we were hardly moving, but he was making us aware that the road over the dam was blocked, by large logs of all things. We parked up and it turned out there was a charity exercise competition going on. Teams of four were running, cycling, swimming I believe and in between running over the top of the dam carrying this log between them with carry ropes attached then picking a 25kilo bag onto their shoulders and running down a track and back again before rushing off to the next activity, ‘fit as [Censored, 10 lines of "I will not swear on XJROC" Please]’ them guys, full respect. Filo had a sweat on just listening to what they were going to do before even seeing them lol

We moved on down the narrow road back to the Elan Valley road and rode onto the next Dam with so little traffic about it was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob616SuhQ2U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvtgYzOV1OM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guMNnGO5yF8

The sun kept appearing in fits and starts but it was bone dry and the riding was good. No restrictions at this Dam so we could ride over the top and park up to take in the beautiful view. The ‘back vehicle was with us all the way and found space to park up too. A short stop and then we were off again and rather than looking at the views it felt like we were part of the amazing views we saw round every corner.

tbc............

JT
Paid up...
Paid up...

Post by JT » Fri May 22, 2015 11:51 pm

Our next stop was Devils Bridge when everyone was counted in

we had a drink and snack to see us on to Aber and fish ‘ n’ chips on the seafront. The last stint of this first part of the day was a blast. Nick and the girls had set off infront and we caught them up not far from Aber. I was following Adam and MickSP followed me. Every thing was going well and Adam got passed Nick and a car infront of them but we had to wait. As we crested a rise Nick took his chance and shot past the cr infront of him. I was up his exhaust pipe and as he pulled over I nailed it, as we passed them I looked across and grinned (he couldn't see my grin obviously because I had my black visor on, doh!) and as we passed his front end I saw 40mph signs looming fast so ‘chucked the anchor out’ checking my mirror to make sure Nick was gonna stop, no probe. What I didn’t know until we got to Aber was that Mick was stuck up my exhaust but was on my blind side and I din’t see him and he didn’t expect me to brake so hard. He actually locked his rear wheel up and apparently made a good impression of a slither snake according to Nick and the girls and Mick and the car dwellers were convinced he was gonna hit me ! Respect to Mick for pulling up so fast and keeping in control cause that would’ve just spoilt the day lol.

Sharky took the wrong turn at a roundabout in Aber lol and we were like ‘kerb crawlers’ but on bikes lol but through more luck than judgement we ended up on the sea front, parked on the prom and sat outside at the cafe on the prom and had our late lunch in the warm sunshine, loverlee.

After we were fed and watered we set off for Newton along the A44. Daz had said he had the Hotel postcode in is Sat Nav and would see us back there and Nick Loftus and Jane would do the same so we hurried along the fast open A44 at a decent pace, not stupid but as I say, a decent pace. Lesley and I were behind Sharky and when we got to the roundabout where the A44 meets the A470 I did my second man drop off but everyone apart from Daz, Sonia, Nick & Jane was right there in a flash so I tagged onto the back of them and we thundered up the A470 to Newton. The sound at the back of the pack was loin girdling good. The loud can brigade were making lots of noise and it was a glorious soundtrack to ride to. Every straight and overtake was like hearing a squadron of Spitfires fly just over head, brilliant. Traffic was light and we were covering ground fast. Before we knew it we were filling up with ‘Go juice’ in the garage at Newtown and had a quick break to get sorted for the 21.5 miles of pure magic that is the A483.

This single ‘ribbon of tarmac’ that starts slow, with a few very sharp blind corners and a couple that come back on itself and then turns into a very, very fast road with continuos radius sweeper after sweeper to keep the adrenalin peaking is surely proof that God is a biker. Sharky took the lead closely followed by me and MickSP. Following after Mick was Freddie, Zigzag, Ryan, Jooles and Tradesman on his street fighter style XJR. Shark set a good pace and after the sharp snappy start we were soon into our groove. I was thinking we weren’t see much traffic at all, especially in the direction we were travelling which meant no hold ups or slow downs. Oops, spoke too soon, we came upon a van and trailer on solid white lines, bugger. Not long after Sharky got past and we had to wait a little for a comfortable pass but we shot by and Mick was right ‘up my chuff’ ha ha. We pushed hard and caught Sharky back up when he got stuck behind another car on solid whites but he soon despatched that and me and Mick had to wait again for our best opportunity. Once past, Mick and I upped our game, I’ve never ridden so hard as on this next stint with Lesley on the back, while keeping it safe and Mick was right there, we were ‘on it’. Lesley is without doubt the best passenger I have ever had ride with me. She follows me to a ’T’ and I hardly know she’s there while I’m concentrating so hard and grinding my teeth inside my helmet lol. She has passenger’d with me for 20 years so we should know what each other is doing when on the bike to be fair but the ride, on that road, on that day was the best we’ve done. We were ultra quick and ultra smooth,pin point through into, round and exiting the corners. Testament to my XJR that we were able to do that to be honest. Mr XJR is as strong, capable, rock steady, comfortable and as willing as anything I’ve ridden two up, she bloody flies.

As we entered the 50mph limit leading down to Crossways, I eased right off and motioned Mick to come along side where a huge high five slap was the order of the day and well deserved for the ride we’d just had. In 34 years of riding there aren’t many fast rides I‘ve had that will better that. Sharky had pulled into our usual entrance stopping place and had dismounted by the time we got there and hand slapping ensured surrounded by huge grins from us four. Not long after, Fred ‘tow’d up’ on his Trumpet followed shorty by Zigzag and Ryan and then Jooles and finally Matt. Everyone shook hands and praised each other for such a wicked blast, this was a ‘great’un’.

Helmets back on, we shot back to the hotel for a well earned pint or two before freshening up and getting everyone together for our evening meal.

As Sharky said in his post, the acting landlord, young Craig went home to fetch a monitor of his so we could plug Micks camcorder in and then my card into Mick’s camcorder to watch the days filming. Told off, we sat at the table to eat and the food was as good as ever and then the evening turned into one of those regular nights at Elan, ‘pished’ ha ha.

Sun 17th May

I was up and went for a walk along the local river and then round to another part of Rhayader I hadn’t seen before and very pretty it was too, along the far side of the river going out of town.

Back at he hotel, people started to rise and we stated breakfast as and when people wanted it. Keith and Julie were first to leave and then one by one we all disappeared on our way to our homes. We rode with Ryan back to the services on the M62, had a coffee and then parted company.

We landed back at home at 2:30pm after another great Elan weekend, a fitting tribute indeed to Set xx and thank you to Adam for organising :applause1: :applause1: :applause1:

sharky

Post by sharky » Sat May 23, 2015 10:09 am

Nice one JT :applause1: :hug:
ride it like ya stole it

Snowwolf

Post by Snowwolf » Sat May 23, 2015 11:06 am

It's been a pleasure reading and seeing the photo's of this trip, looking forward to going next year for sure :-)

Tradesman

Post by Tradesman » Sat May 23, 2015 11:58 am

Brilliant write-up of the weekend and some exceptional photos - my favourite being the one of mickSP head back laughing, and Daz looking at me like someone just said "camera, breathe in" :D
slip the night from a shaved pack..

Filo

Post by Filo » Sat May 23, 2015 4:16 pm

Tradesman wrote:Brilliant write-up of the weekend and some exceptional photos - my favourite being the one of mickSP head back laughing, and Daz looking at me like someone just said "camera, breathe in" :D
I must admit, I wondered what the hell I was looking at with that stupid look on my face :lol:

Great Picture though. I think you had just asked Mick if he was buying a round in the pub when we get back.