Ste's Elan Valley Run 17th May 2014

This is where to post/find all rideouts and monthly meets taking place in Wales.

Moderator: Site Team

JT
Paid up...
Paid up...
Antispam - What is 3 x 12?: 48

Re: Ste's Elan Valley Run 17th May 2014

Post by JT » Sat May 17, 2014 6:08 am

Kenny>Nope, I'm not into photo's Mate :wickedgrin:
Yellow XJR SP 'Simply the Best'

Filo
Antispam - What is 3 x 12?: 36

Post by Filo » Sat May 17, 2014 6:51 am

Have a great time :thumbs: I ain't got a bike for the weekend. Picked up new tiger. Rode home to find the tank leaking due to a split seam. So its off back today for a new tank. :temper: now I have got over the initial red mist, I suppose its not dealers fault. Just a Friday tank from factory. Hope to have sorted by next weekend :D

ewan
Paid up...
Paid up...

Post by ewan » Sat May 17, 2014 9:00 pm

what a brill day :thumbs: great weather great company and not to forget the new reason for the run :applause1: :thumbs:
happiness is a big fat tyre :scotland:

ryan1983
Paid up...
Paid up...

Post by ryan1983 » Sun May 18, 2014 4:52 pm

Hi guys

Been home about 20mins great weekend with great people and great roads :)

And to top it all off the weather was great also.

Looking forward to seeing all the photos and write ups will post a few photo later also

Ryan

JT
Paid up...
Paid up...

Post by JT » Sun May 18, 2014 5:44 pm

Now then

Fantastic company :hug: , brilliant roads :eusadance: , excellent craic :drunk: and the weather was superb 8) a fitting weekend tribute to a great friend :D

Mick SP
Paid up...
Paid up...

Post by Mick SP » Sun May 18, 2014 6:41 pm

Arrived home at about 2pm after a gentle 120 mile journey home. Well this was a weekend to remember. Absolutely bloody fantastic from start to finish. Great to see you all and to see Ste's family in Aberystwyth.
Thanks JT for getting the T' shirts printed up. Very fitting for the weekend :thumbs:
Junction 8, Junction 8, Junction 8 :lol:

ryan1983
Paid up...
Paid up...

Post by ryan1983 » Mon May 19, 2014 3:42 pm

Hi guys

A few photos hope you like
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ryan1983
Paid up...
Paid up...

Post by ryan1983 » Mon May 19, 2014 3:42 pm

Hi guys

A few more

kennyb

Post by kennyb » Mon May 19, 2014 4:43 pm

Thx for those Ryan, is that Den stood in front of Freddy?
Yamaha XJR 1300 Black
My Album

ewan
Paid up...
Paid up...

Post by ewan » Mon May 19, 2014 5:33 pm

kennyb wrote:Thx for those Ryan, is that Den stood in front of Freddy?
yes, red was there :thumbs:

JT
Paid up...
Paid up...

Post by JT » Mon May 19, 2014 10:33 pm

Now then

What a weekend, absolutely ‘fantasmagorical’ as my Dad used to say. And it all started Thursday 15th. I left work a little early to go get the ‘T’-shirts I had printed for the in augural, Ste’s Elan Valley Memorial Run. I was excited and a bit nervous, unsure whether the design would look good and not a pile of shite for this important run. I needn’t have worried, they looked fine and dandy. Home, packed me bag and before I went to bed I had a quick look on google maps to see if there was a different road into Rhayader than the A470 which I usually come in on. I found the A489 which went East out of Newtown and then I could pick up the A488 through Clun, Knighton and finally onto the A44 to Crossgates. I’ll see how I feel when I get to Newtown tomorrow.

Friday 16th
I was up early, for a change lol and was loaded and on the road for twenty past eight.

Lesley wasn’t coming this weekend, she was staying at home to look after her Mum so I was solo, just me and me bike. The sun was high, in the clear blue sky already and it was mild too, considering it was before 09:00. Music playing in my ears, Sat Nav directions volume turned off and I was on the boring motorway covering ground at a decent pace. Traffic was light with no hold ups when I filled up on the M62 after an hour’s travelling. Then after one junction down the M6 I took the M56 and then M53 and A55 round Chester. Not much further on, at the edge of Wrexham, I joined the A483 south and it was sooo good to get on a two way road which I find ideal hunting ground for me and my XJR, rather than a multi-laner. Car drivers were using their mirrors this bright morning and moving over when they could, to invite me by. This route put me on the A5 for a short stint and I stopped for a coffee at the Gledrid services on a roundabout. It was hot, hot, hot and I’m not on about the coffee, as I stood admiring my XJR.

Back onto the very fast A483 at Oswestry and with plenty of overtaking opportunities I was flying. The bike was running like a dream, which she always does and I had a great big grin on my face as I rode round Oswestry, down the Welshpool by-pass and into Newtown. 13 litres of golden juice in the bike, it was 12:15 and ‘I’m feeling good’, so with plenty of time I headed up the A489 to experience new roads.

Climbing up out of Newtown the road is smooth and the corners are perfect to get you in the mood for what is ahead. You work your tyres well hard in no time and so with plenty of grip and feedback coming from the front and the rear I was in the groove. The road keeps on rising and the corners keep on coming, testing you, making you look as far forward as possible through the corners, including over the top of hedges, to keep the average speed up. I turned right at the ‘T’ junction with the A488 where the road turns into a giant serpent. Rolling up, then left and right, down then up, over crests, banked over right then switching over to the left, breathtaking and exhilarating all at once. There was virtually no traffic to speak of, I felt like the road was mine as it started to narrow a little and the hedges and trees came in closer accentuating the sensation of speed. As you leave the village of Bishops Castle the hedges seem to shrink, making the road seem higher than the cams and now you can see far and wide, and it’s beautiful. So many greens in the open landscape with large fields of oil seed rape dotted here and there and all surrounded by hills in the far distance. Me and the XJR are in our element, with no tight bends or hairpins appearing it’s sweepers galore and still no traffic, magic. Into the village of Clun, which has very narrow streets and lots of parked cars and a lovely stone bridge over the river Clun. The high hedges re appear, lining the nicely surfaced road and not far out of Clun the road rises high in a short distance. On the approach to Knighton the road becomes tree lined, at first on the left on top of a close bank and below a crash barrier on the right. Then both sides, close to the road, making a tunnel effect and finally, closer on the right, high above me with the farm fields below a hedge to my left, very picturesque. I’ve reached the end of A489 / A488 and what a brilliant detour. Right onto the A44 and I’m soon ducking under the railway bridge and pulling into the cafe at Crossgates. My face hurts, I’ve been smiling for so long and I have a coffee and re live the last 44 miles in my mind. A Little further along the road and I reach my destination, The Elan Hotel. Round the back, into the car park and the sun has disappeared behind some high cloud, it’s still warm but the bright sun is hiding for now. I notice Pete’s (Spasm) Tenere is at the back of the hotel too and I take my luggage to book in.

This is where the fun started. No booking for me, or Dee or Nick and Steph, 3 rooms not accounted for and they were fully booked. The new Manageress, Clare, was very apologetic but couldn’t fit us in, someone had taken my bookings and not entered them onto the computer so no record of them. Clare soon got us a bed for the night at the Lamb and Flag Inn, a pub within walking distance of the Elan. Pete and Debs appeared from upstairs and Freddy and Marilyn arrived on their Trumpet. I went to book in the Lamb and Flag, emptied my bag and walked back to the Elan. We five sat outside the front of the Elan as the sun showed its face again and had some liquid refreshment, just shandy for me ( am I turning into a Southerner ?) It was still only early and I want to be fresh for the ride out tomorrow.
Sharky and Sur arrived next and unbelievably, their room was not booked on the system. It seems that those of us who had rang and booked our rooms weren’t booked in but all those who had booked over the internet were fine. Clare got Sharky and Sue into the Lamb and Flag too so in the end we all had beds for the Friday night. Gary (Zigzag) arrived next, then Nick, Jane and Bob. We decided to eat at the Elan that night, Dee, Steph and Nick would get food on their way down and by the time they arrived in Dees new car we had eaten.

MickSP, Andy (Jax) and Sharon and finally Ryan were late arrivals and it was a quiet night for me as I turned in before midnight.

Tbc.....

Dieffe
Paid up...
Paid up...

Post by Dieffe » Tue May 20, 2014 8:19 am

Damn, I'm late for work now!!! :lol:
All opinions in the above post are totally irrelevant and any offence caused to any person or persons is wholly intentional.

Diego

Post by Diego » Tue May 20, 2014 8:27 am

Looks like everyone had a fab time :thumbs: Well jel I am :mrgreen: Great wright so far JT looking forward to the next instalment, and I am waiting for next years date :wickedgrin:

Pete
Once you have had Black you never go back!! (so she says ha)

http://www.bull-it.com

http://www.buzzpeople.co.uk

kennyb

Post by kennyb » Tue May 20, 2014 12:17 pm

Magic JT, almost feels like your there with those detailed write-ups, thank you :thumbs:
Yamaha XJR 1300 Black
My Album

JT
Paid up...
Paid up...

Post by JT » Tue May 20, 2014 9:43 pm

Sat 18th May

I woke early and after ‘surfing’ a bit on me phone, I got bored. The sun was shining bright so I got up and went out on the bike at 06:30. I went for an hour ride round the local roads which were very quiet obviously and had a bit of fun on my own. Back to the Lamb and Flag, showered and down for breakfast in shorts and t-shirt. Sharky and Sue came down and we tucked into a full English each. Nick and Steph appeared, followed shortly by Dee. Breakfast eaten, I got my bike gear on and rode round to The Elan Hotel then down to Crossgates where we were all due to meet. Den and Ewan had turned up at Crossgates for the ride out and so there was 9 bikes in total, XJR’s first :-
Me XJR
Gary XJR
Ryan XJR
MickSP XJR
Ewan XJR
Den XJR
Sharky Fazer
Pete & Debs Tenere
Freddy & Marilyn Trumpet

We all got our t-shirts on for the day and had a quick photocall with Nick as well and then the girls.

We chatted and had a catch up with a coffee then were ready for the ride out.

Sharky led away the fully fuelled bikes, er, that is apart from mine, doh! We got over the roundabout and headed for Rhayader and the road through the Elan Valley when I noticed I was on red and remembered I was on reserve, ‘school boy error’. I got alongside Sharky and motioned I needed petrol and shot off in front to get filled up in Rhayader to keep the hold up to a minimum. Sharky stopped the group at the garage and waited for me, then we were back on the road. Through Rhayader and out on the B4518 where it wasn’t long before we saw Andy & Sharon taking in the scenery and some pics of the area. The road then becomes the B4574 further along. This route is narrow to start off even though it is two way with broken white lines down the middle and no lines at all where it gets really narrow then opens up to a typical B road with great combinations of scenery, corners, rises and falls and the odd straight thrown in. Railings, hedges, trees, rivers, lakes, forests, farm land, slate, old mines, reservoirs, moorland and sheep, they all line this road at some point or other over the next 18 miles. We stopped at two reservoirs, the first where the road comes to a dead end and where we saw some off roaders riding parallel with us but 40 foot below us on the other side of a river we were following. They came to the end of their green lane where our road ended and we watched as they negotiated the river to ride back along the road we had come on. Not one of them fell off and got wet, which was a shame ha ha. We gazed up at the impressive dam wall and then rode round and up the side road to the top of the dam. The view was beautiful from up there and we soaked up a bit of sun.

before Sharky led us onto the next dam with a few good tunes ringing in my ears

More photo’s including Gary stepping in sheep shit and general piss taking before we set off again for Devils Bridge.

The road drops down steeply at one point, into the valley in front of us and you can see it weave around the bottom, over a stone bridge and then wiggle its way up the other side. Surface is good and then it’s cattle grid after cattle grid keeping the separate flocks apart but not off the road. You have to keep your wits about you because the lambs are barely a few weeks old and dafter than their mothers where traffic is concerned, and thagts saying something, as Sharky nearly found out to his cost, as a little blighter shot out from behind a mound and across the road in front of him to his mother, stupid little bugger. We pulled into the car park at Devils Bridge where there was a couple of other bikes but there was not many bikers on the road, which was amazing considering the weather. Nick, Jane and Bob were already there having made their own way along to allow Jane to be in her comfort zone on her new XT 660. It’s a cracking looking bike and she was enjoying it to the full. Ice creams and cold drinks were the popular choice for us at Devils Bridge and we had a right good old chin wag as we passed the time in the still glorious sunshine, it was proper warm now.

From Devils Bridge we rode the A4120 with another rider in our group as Bob decided to ride with us to our next stop Aberystwith and the promenade for lunch. The road is a lot faster as you get close to the coast and we sped along at a good pace, enjoying the more open road with hedges to keep livestock off the road. Through the town streets then you suddenly appear on the sea front and lots of people and cars and bikes, the place was alive. PD’s Diner is the place to eat at rather than in cause it’s a cabin with outside seating area.

Some were lucky and timed it right to get and under canopy table but we all got tables in the end and had a bite to eat. Dee, Nick & Steph and Andy & Sharon were already there and some of Ste’s family arrived too, his Brother and Mam amongst them. It was lovely to see them under much happier circumstances and felt so proud they had taken the time to drive there.

Den and Ewan left for home separately and the rest of us headed out on the A44 for some very fast riding, on much more open roads than this morning. We lost Freddy and Gary on the outskirts of Aberystwith as the 2nd man drop off broke down. That left, Sharky leading Pete, me, MickSP, Ryan and Bob along the A44. We cracked on at a real good pace around lovely sweeping corners with stunning views to the left, right, in front and behind us. When we reached the A44/A470 roundabout Sharky carried on North up the A470 to Newtown and I waited at the roundabout for the others. Pete and MickSP came and went and then Bob appeared. He shot up the A470 but then Freddy arrived and turned south down the A470 towards Rhayader with not a wave, bip of the horn or even two fingers :( :lol: . Ryan soon followed and we rode together, following the others to Newtown. At the garage in Newtown we filled up and had a break in the shade of the building cause it was still very warm in the sun.

Ryans Mam with some of is family appeared in a car and after a short chat we were off again. We’d agreed earlier in the day that from here on in it would be a free for all, no 2nd man drop off because it was one road all the way to Crossgates. Right out of the garage, then right at the first lights and the sublime A483 laid ahead of us for the next 23 miles. This road has absolutely everything and we gave it everything on our trusty bikes, for the full 23 miles. It was fantastic and when Me, Sharky and Mick at first, then Pete & Debs pulled up as we got into Crossgates, we couldn’t stop grinning. Ryan and Bob soon followed and we set off for our last stretch back to the Elan Hotel. The short blast along the A44 was another grin as we gave the bikes everything and they had no more to give us, throttle to the stop, a brilliant finish to a perfect ride and we all landed back safely which was the icing on the cake. 5 pm and the bikes parked up, beers were ordered and so the night began.

Tbc.

ewan
Paid up...
Paid up...

Post by ewan » Tue May 20, 2014 10:05 pm

you were doing really well until the selfy john :bonkers:
think i'll have nightmares tonight :wacko: :shock:

JT
Paid up...
Paid up...

Post by JT » Wed May 21, 2014 6:04 am

Cont................

We found out that Dee, Nick and Steph and myself only had a room at the Lamb and Flag for one night, Sharky and Sue had to move rooms but stayed at the same pub, this room carry on is turning into a saga ha ha. Anyway, Dee, Nick and Steph shared a family room which became available at the Elan and thanx to a very kind Gary, I ‘bunked’ literally a bunk bed lol in with him.

We kept an eye on the FA Cup final score as we sat outside and discussed the day. Everyone was on a high after such a fantastic day and the weather had been superb. Dee, Nick & Steph and Andy & Sharon who were in their respective cars had a great day too. One by one we showered, ordered our food and sank the beers as the night rolled on. There wasn’t too many locals in the pub and we were the entertainment to be honest.

The food must’ve been very good because it was the quietest we had all been since breakfast lol. I could feel the effects of the alcohol starting to take hold so I gave my camera to Gary who’s sensible and asked him to look after it for me incase I loose it, and this is what I found when I looked through the photo’s at home, some funny buggers about in't there :lol: .

After our meal it all descended into a drink fest.

Part way through the night, I was out the front with Ryan and Sharky and there was loud music coming from a pub just over the road out of eye shot. Ryan and myself decided to wander over and have a look but Sharky declined. Bloody hell, the little place was crammed and ‘bouncing’. There was a guy on singing who turned out to be the landlaord and the whole place was alive and noisy, perfect for a warm evening. We had a pint, then went onto the shorts, I drank Captain Morgans spiced Rum with coke, mmmm loverlee, introduced to me by me Mate Scot, from Perth and it is my new end of night drink and Ryan was on Vodka and coke and so it continued. Mick, Nick & Jane appeared, Nick ‘two sheets to the wind’ and joined us for the rest of the night. I asked the landlord if I could do a number and he duly obliged. ‘Mack the Knife’, my old favourite, went down a storm, I think lol and the guy then put dancing music on, so we were now boogying the night away. Ryan wanted to hear me sing again, daft lad, so asked the guy who was now wrapping up;

“Can my Mate sing another song ?”

“no, that’s it lad”

“I’ll buy you a beer”

.........................”Go on then” :D

So I was up again and he’d put ‘The Wonder of you’ on, love it. The night carried on, what seemed like forever, Mick disappeared back to his room and Jane escorted a now ‘mortal’ Nick back to their tent. As for me and Ryan, we were put out the door like the cat, last thing at night at 02:25. Gary was capped to bit’s when I quietly crept into the room without disturbing him, how he knew I’d got in at 02:32 I’ll never know. Undressed, fell into bed and into a deep coma.

Sun 18th
I woke, opening one eye at a time, you know the feeling, when you’re not quite 100% on a morning after a steady night out lol. Showered and downstairs before 08:00 I had a wander out to clear my head and went along by the riverside. It was another glorious morning, with the sun already beating down and not a sole about. Back to the hotel and people started to appear. Breakfast was great, always is after a good session the night before and the piss taking continued.

Steadily, people began to leave to go back to their homes. We didn’t see, Nick, Jane or Bob that morning, I guess they had a lie in. I wanted to do the A488/A489 route that I came down on in reverse and Ryan, Fred & Marilyn would ride with me. We had recovered enough to be comfortable on the bikes by 11:30, just as they were getting ready for the Sunday lunch time in the hotel, OMG the meat smelt fantastic.

I led away with Ryan, Fred & Marilyn, MickSP and Gary in tow. Mick and Gary carried on South as we turned off the A44 onto the A488 and we bipped and waved as we parted company. We had a great run back up to Newtown, there was many push bikers on the road enjoying the weather and a squadron of Westfields coming the other way too. We stopped off at one point on top of a hill for some photo’s.

The road is equally good in either direction which you don’t always find. We fuelled up in Newtown and Fred would lead up the A483 because there was a cafe he knew 5 miles up the road where we could stop for a drink and a snack. A lot more than 5 miles later Fred took us off the wrong exit on a roundabout, we didn’t laugh, much and by now ‘my stomach thought my throat had been cut’ ! Further down the road there was a sign for a cafe, 1 mile on, brilliant, I was starving, it was 13:35 and I couldn’t wait to get some food and a drink. Fred pointed to the brown info sign with the cafe 1 mile on and I nodded in agreement. A mile later, Fred rode straight past the cafe on the other side of the road, WHAT ! I stopped and pulled into the car park and Ryan followed, I bipped and waved but Fred just carried on, bollox to that I need something to eat so me and Ryan had our lunch sat outside the cafe. We rang Fred, he and Marilyn had rode to the cafe up the road he knew, bloody Triumph owners :wickedgrin: we said our goodbyes on the phone.

Me and Ryan blasted the rest of the way until stopping for a last fuel stop on the M62. His junction was just after that so we agreed what a GREAT weekend it had been and we parted company. I was home in an hour, knackered but with the biggest smile on my face.
This was the first Memorial Run for our Great friend Ste and it was a cracker. Thank you to every one who turned up, you made the weekend what it was, as you always do, roll on next year.

Nick Loftus
Paid up...
Paid up...

Post by Nick Loftus » Wed May 21, 2014 9:19 am

:applause1:

jooles
Events Coordinator
Events Coordinator