PC Harper

This is where to post/find all rideouts and monthly meets taking place in England.

Moderator: Site Team

Mick SP
Paid up...
Paid up...
Antispam - What is 3 x 12?: 36

PC Harper

Post by Mick SP » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:06 pm

This weekend (SUNDAY) a lass has organised a ride of respect for the late PC Harper. If any of you want to join me please post or PM me. I will be meeting at Brize Norton at 0930, then riding to the start point to Benson. Let me know if you are interested. All welcome at my place for tea / coffee before the ride (3 miles from brize norton) 0
Junction 8, Junction 8, Junction 8 :lol:

Mick SP
Paid up...
Paid up...

Re: PC Harper

Post by Mick SP » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:55 pm

What a day, I met with with 12 riders at 0900, set off for pick up point 2 at 0930 in Witney, then there were about 40 bikes. We arrived at Benson Airfield at about 11 o’clock to park on the airfield apron. And boy, I h can’t remember parking amongst so many bikes. 4500 bikes registered for the ride of respect and I think there must have been at least6 or 7 thousand.. the military did a great job, supplying tea, coffee, hot and cold food at very good prices so we were well catered for. The ride set off from Benson at 1145, led by PC Harper and some of his family all on bikes, either riders or pillions and were on their way. Due to the increased number of bikes, the timing schedule was stretched and people were getting impatient, possibly as they had a long way to travel home. Many left, that helped speed up our departure time. We finally were on our way at 1530, nearly 4 hours after the first phase and thought the crowds in Abingdon would have gone by this time. How wrong were we! Even before we arrived in Abingdon, scores of people lined the roads, roundabouts, bridges, all waving, lots with tears and I must say it was very moving. Not sure if it was the cold air with my visor up, but I felt emotional. Through Abingdon town centre itself, there were still many people waving, and ‘high five’ . We ended up at Abingdon airfield and grabbed a coffee before seeing PC Harper’s wife and family ride off with a round of applause. Shortly after, we met Sian, a hairdresser, who took it upon herself to organise this event, duly thanked her and left for home finishing up at 1715. Felt privileged to be a part of it.

Oh and to cap it all, I bumped into a club member tsworsnop and her husband from Weymouth way, lovely couple and hope they will come to a couple of meets.
Junction 8, Junction 8, Junction 8 :lol:

harris
Membership Sec
Membership Sec

Post by harris » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:33 pm

tremendous!
well done to all involved, looked a great gathering.

ewan
Paid up...
Paid up...
Antispam - What is 3 x 12?: 48

Post by ewan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:59 am

well done micky :thumbs: wish i could have been there :temper:
happiness is a big fat tyre :scotland: