Galloway Hills are Full of Art

This is where to post/find all rideouts and monthly meets taking place in Scotland.

Moderator: Site Team

givitsum

Galloway Hills are Full of Art

Post by givitsum » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:01 pm

Had a troll through the Galloway Hills today. Started off in Kirkcudbright and landed in Ayrshire about seventy miles away.

Mainly single track with a bit of art along the way ---

If that is 'art' on the block so is my Tenere ---

There was also a bit of this ---

and a lot of that ---

plus some of this ---

but this sort of thing is what I live for ---

Gotta make the most of it before they cover our beautiful hills with wind turbines and sub-stations :wacko:

A hundred and sixty miles for my day with a coffee and a scone in Moffat after a good blat over from Sanquar but the downer came less than twenty miles from home. Two camera vans on that stretch of the A75 and a serious looking accident involving a bike. It didn't look good but the emergency services were taking over as I came by. They were going to be busy picking up the bits. I couldn't even see where the bike landed - just two bods on the bank.

But - they were both wearing hi-viz tops so they will be alright then won't they :roll:

givit 8)

spasm
Antispam - What is 3 x 12?: 48

Re: Galloway Hills are Full of Art

Post by spasm » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:43 pm

nice one don, galloway forest ive done twice, great road fast n twisty, would have loved to ride those single track roads wiv u on the big 12 :thumbs:

givitsum

Post by givitsum » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:05 pm

Hi Pete - it was amazing how many plain looking cars suddenly sprouted blue flashing lights and turned up at the scene of the accident on the A75. A sobering thought :roll:

A good day out though :thumbs:

The Z is going great since I gave her an oil and filter change earlier this week. The biggest factor is probably cos I gave it a dose of Wynn's additive in the fuel along with this current tankfull. It's supposed to clean the injectors and help the combustion proccess. I've always been sceptical about that sort of claim but this stuff works. The exhaust note has become crisper and deeper and she pulls smoothly from about 2000rpm. She wasn't so keen on the throttle being opened much below 3000rpm before.

The price of the additive made me blink - about sixteen quid from Halfords but it works - can't see me dosing her every 3000 miles like it says on the box tho' :lol:

cheers mate - :thumbs:

fazeshifter
Antispam - What is 3 x 12?: 36

Post by fazeshifter » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:09 pm

Nice route and great pics as always Giv. :thumbs:

Think you should get up high and get a cracking shot of some twisties in the area, let those south of the border know what they're missing. Can't keep em all for ourselves :wickedgrin:

Not quite a twisty but aint had the balls to try this one yet. it's tighter than a nuns chuff.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/82750566@N ... hotostream

(Cant remeber how to get a pic up rather than the link.)

givitsum

Post by givitsum » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:04 pm

Now that's an interesting pic Faze - is that your white hoose at the top of the hill?

nice wun :thumbs:

givitsum

Post by givitsum » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:13 pm

Where's Fazeshifter when you want 'im :roll:

I'm dying to know where he took that picture :dontknow:

givit

fazeshifter

Post by fazeshifter » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:25 pm

lol. sorry damn taptalk is crap, won't let me reply on 3g now.

pic was taken in Rothsay, Ilse of Bute.
View from the roof of my mates new flat. went up with some sealer and a tarpaulin to try and fix the leaks, no wonder they got it so cheap.

givitsum

Post by givitsum » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:50 pm

Ah! That explains why I had to ask. Thought I had been everywhere but I've never been on Bute. My mum has but that doesn't count :lol:

Hope you fixed his roof proper before all the rain arrived :D

givit

wattfield
Antispam - What is 3 x 12?: 48

Post by wattfield » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:55 pm

That's the aptly named Serpentine Road in Rothesay, my grandparents lived round the corner. :D
There's only one way of life - and that's your own.

givitsum

Post by givitsum » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:32 am

Thanks Wattie - is it worth taking the bike over for a trundle round some time or is the island too small for that?

givit :thumbs:

fazeshifter

Post by fazeshifter » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:12 am

It's a bit small but has a good ring road round it.Take the long way round and get the Colintraive ferry. only 10 squids for a return (open for 5 days if you want to get drunk and kip in a field). a lot cheaper than the one direct to Rothsay and the roads getting there are better. Usual farm muck on the roads on the Island so be careful but there's plenty of "off the beaten track" bits. and the road north from Ettrick bay only goes so far up but it's long enough for a slow ride if you can avoid the traffic wardens disguised as sheep ( hundreds of them) on the road. Kingarth Hotel is nice and the guy in the bar and the chef are bikers. just don't turn up in flip-flops,shorts and a hoody or they'll take the piss out of your stupidity. plenty of scenic spots. Think I'll move into the flat and claim squatters rights :lol: Beer everywhere seems to be £3 a pint. only one petrol station and thats in Rothsay it's old fashioned as the guy comes out and fills yer tank for you. either it's island charm or he doesn't trust and bugger. Oh yeah and there's a cracker of a cafe that does superb ice-cream. Not come across anywhere there that isn't biker friendly most places advertise the fact as well.
Worth a visit. I know I'm going back a few times. nothing to do with a certain barmaid but that's my secret. lol
Oh no 3g on the island that i could find. but plenty of places have free wifi.

The roof has now had a temporary fix so it doesn't leak (as much) but they've fallen out with the pub downstairs as they refused to pay there part of the cost (£25) lol think they rather get the thing fixed properly and pay the full share but thats not my problem I'm quite happy to sleep in the bar if it rains heavy and the roof starts to leak again.

givitsum

Post by givitsum » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:01 pm

Thanks for the head's up Fazes - sounds ideal for a weekend bash. Maybe that's where we should all be going for the annual Scottish weekend meet that Eggnog & Co are talking about on a neighbouring thread.

A degree of difficulty in getting there would perhaps add to the appeal for most and even bring sum of the English up over the border to join in :lol:

cheers - givit :thumbs: