Saturday Gallop

This is where to post/find all rideouts and monthly meets taking place in Scotland.

Moderator: Site Team

givitsum

Saturday Gallop

Post by givitsum » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:34 pm

Warm and sunny in Kirkcudbright but I made a slow start after a heavyish Friday night in the Masonic that worryingly is becoming a habit :drunk:

My dappled friend came to see me off ---

then it was puffball clouds on blue skies all the way to Moffat. I could see the gap in the hills I had to go through to get to St Mary's Loch and it was full of cloud and wet stuff, known in this part of the world as 'Scot's Mist'.

First stop was just over fifty miles into my ride and a clamber up the hill for a pic of The Grey Mare's Tail ---

Most days it's like the trickle on the right but for once I got it in full flow.

The cafe by St Mary's Loch just 4 miles further up and over the hill was next on my list ---

where a pot of tea and a bacon butty hit the spot. The new - for this year - proprietors were full of doom and gloom regarding the weather with a whole list of reports of flooding leading to cancelled events around the country. At the time I was still undecided whether to carry on over the next 50 miles to Kelso but something in the bacon butty must have kept me going :D

Flooded roads and washed out pea-gravel was the order of the day for the next 30 miles. The biggest hazard was to be bloody motorists coming round blind corners on my side of the road to dodge wee puddles :shock:

No worries - I was enjoying the ride and Selkirk was followed by St Boswells then another ten miles - much of it by the banks of the River's Tweed and Teviot - brought me to the BMF Show on it's riverside setting at Kelso. The river was still officially between it's banks but you wouldn't have guessed judging by the waterlogged showground!

It didn't take me long to find the XJROC tent where I was handed a welcome cuppa. I had just missed a visit from the Scod (oh dear what a shame :lol:) but Lesley, John, Ste, Filo, Hairy and Mr Skyscraper were all in attendance. After exchanging the customary pleasantries on such occasions Ste and I took a paddle round the show.

The high-flying moto-crosser stunts had ended in an almighty CRASH :shock: so at least it was quiet up in that corner where a marquee housed 'Best in Show'. No 'Bling' XJRs unfortunately but this Kawasaki was wrestled in between the bums for the photogroper ---

Sorry - there should have been two 'H's in photographer :roll:

maybe it was sumthin to do with the going's on in the Hog corner of the tent where two scantilly clad young ladies were doing there best to stay focused ---

and another one - what happened to 'say cheese please' ---

With smiles hard to come by in that grim setting it was back to the OC tent where the lovely Lesley and a bag of sausage rolls had the desired effect ---

Rain was setting in by this time and with over a hundred miles to go I said my cheerio's and got back on the road. Rain all the way to Langholm on the A7 then things improved and by the time I crossed the M74 at Gretna the skies were actually looking quite cheerfull ---

The next fifty miles spun by under my wheels on dry roads and ever bluer skies. You can imagine my surprise to find on the edge of Kirkcudbright that the day's VintageTractor and Gardening Show had been cancelled!

Thanks for your hospitality at Kelso Gal & Guys and it was a pleasure to meet Mr Skyscraper at last - a true gent :thumbs:

cheers - givit ;-) :D

fazeshifter
Antispam - What is 3 x 12?: 36

Re: Saturday Gallop

Post by fazeshifter » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:45 pm

some nice pics :D
and can recommend the roads some very nice twisties that I don't supposed you have told anyone about? :lol:

Wish i had the xjr sooner, could have thrown you an invite to our "raiders" weekend in Kenbridge at the end of April. Took a run down to Castle Douglas but had to head back as wasn't in a fit state to look at the bike never mind ride one. Scared the crap out of myself on some of those bends on the way down ( i took the scenic route) serves me right for 14 hours drinking 4 hours sleep and forgetting to buy food the day before. At least i gave everyone a laugh by not puting the side stand down right on the divie and watching it fall over as i got off to open the gate to the campsite.

givitsum

Re: Saturday Gallop

Post by givitsum » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:56 pm

Been there got the T shirt mate. After one memorable or forgetable Midsummer's Madness e-piss-ode at the Clachaig I almost drowned in sick in my helmet the morning after - less than a quarter mile after leaving the campsite up Glencoe. It had been a big mistake to have chopped spahgetti in tomato sauce for breakfast in my delicate condition :roll:

I gave up on social biking after that and went racing instead. I reckoned the social side would kill me before racing did :roll:

See you on the road sumtime Faze :thumbs:

givit ;-) :D