My Sunday run... not quite 50 shades of gray

This is where to post/find all rideouts and monthly meets taking place in Scotland.

Moderator: Site Team

Eoghan
Antispam - What is 3 x 12?: 48

My Sunday run... not quite 50 shades of gray

Post by Eoghan » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:45 pm

Hi all,

I had decided to take the bike out onto a northern loop - west to Dingwall, up to Ullapool, over the top to the Ledmore Junction, then down to Bonar Bridge and home (http://binged.it/LcBEPJ).

I prepped the bike on saturday. hunted out my tail bag charged the camera battery, and did some more carb balancing after fitting the four degree ignition advancer etc.

I've done the trip in the car before so thought i'd use the opportunity to take the camera and see if i could get some decent landscapes... afterall, if the weather on sunday was anything like it was for saturday then i'm sure to get some decent images.

Sunday i awoke to mist and drizzle. the forecast promised that it would dry up so i waited till 11.00 and set out... i decided to play it safe with the bike gear, I was trussed up like the michelin man with my waterproofs and several layers to keep the cold out. (so much for a summer!)

the bike started nice and easy and felt nice and smooth most of the way round.

the A835 from Dingwall to Ullapool is a cracking piece of road and fully recommend it... then from ullapool over the top the scenery is superb. and in this trip, the driest section... so the camera came out - not for the first time, but the results were much better and worthy of sharing:

IMG_5549_50_51_tonemapped by EoghanSmith, on Flickr

IMG_5546_7_8_tonemapped by EoghanSmith, on Flickr

As is my way at the moment, i've enhanced the pics to bring out the detail...

As I turn right at the Ledmore junction i start my 25 or so miles of single track road. the scenery changes too to more sedate and rolling hills. As the weather was now turning for the worst i head straight home and nothing is camera worthy in the misty drizzly gray.

heading home the bike felt a bit rough, almost like it was chugging along. I think i'm going to have to bite the bullet, take the carbs out and clean them. I also have to sort out the rear caliper as it was binding on the way home... och well... my biking urges have been satisfied for a bit longer, and one more cracking route can be added to the list. thats three in total now.

All the best

Eoghan
steidheadair

No man knows till he has suffered from the night how sweet and how dear to his heart and eye the morning can be.

Eogs Online photo album
Eogs facebook photography page

RFdemon
Antispam - What is 3 x 12?: 48

Re: My Sunday run... not quite 50 shades of gray

Post by RFdemon » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:56 pm

Pictures look good fella. :thumbs:

Good luck with the carb job!
If hitting it with a hammer doesn't work, it must be electrical.

Modified motorcycles? http://disturbingthepeace.co.uk

2004 XJR1300 in black (of course!)
1999 4XV R1 in Kenny Roberts colours.

Ferg
Antispam - What is 3 x 12?: 36

Post by Ferg » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:17 pm

Great photos. Looks like you got better weather than us today. managed to dodge the down pours most of the day but got soaked in the last 10 miles or so.
XJR1300 1999
XJR1300 2009
FZS600 1999

If it was easy......... .............it wouldn't be a challenge.

Mick SP
Paid up...
Paid up...

Post by Mick SP » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:18 pm

One day, I'll take a trip to the Highlands. Looks beautiful :thumbs:
Junction 8, Junction 8, Junction 8 :lol:

fazeshifter

Post by fazeshifter » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:48 pm

Next time try and get some pics of Corrieshalloch Gorge. Not been there for years original from Nairn but mum was the district nurse in Beauly and Kiltarlity for a few years so know the area well(Sunday picnics were a must. lol )

XJayArr

Post by XJayArr » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:45 pm

Great pictures dude.

I love going west, never fails to deliver great views.