My first evening constitutional

This is where to post/find all rideouts and monthly meets taking place in Scotland.

Moderator: Site Team

Eoghan
Antispam - What is 3 x 12?: 48

My first evening constitutional

Post by Eoghan » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:41 pm

Hi all,

Having read a post by JT a while ago regarding an evening rideout he had, i promised myself that i'd try and get out of an evening for a run once in a while.

When i came back from my ride with bro that friday, my bike felt quite rough. so i ordered a carbtune and this afternoon i set to work but thats for another thread though.

with the work carried out i had to test it. so i settled on a route:

Untitled by EoghanSmith, on Flickr

So Starting at 'D' aka Home I headed for the road the locals call the 'Struie'. the road consists of some good straights and a mixture of tight and gentle twisties... at its peak theres a good layby with a cracking view:

IMAG0114 by EoghanSmith, on Flickr

From Here, i continued onto point 'B' and over the bridge at Bonar Bridge and headed towards Point 'C' on the A9. I very very rarely travel this road as its never on our routes home.... well when on the bike this section will now become compulsory riding. some cracking sections and one very sweet set of right, left, right twisties which made me want to turn around and have another go at them...

turning right onto the A9 i stopped at another layby just before tain:

IMAG0117 by EoghanSmith, on Flickr

IMAG0118 by EoghanSmith, on Flickr

from here the route home can be fast, and apart from a couple of roundabouts, its pretty dull. i say can be fast, but on this occasion it was 60 -70mph all the way because when i was taking the above two pics a police car zoomed past, heading in my direction home...

I peeled off the A9 and took the shore road home to saltburn.

All in all it was a short 56.2 mile route... the weather was overcast and a bit blowy so i'm looking forward to the long summer evenings for a good blast round my new evening constitutional... :dance: :eusadance:

Eoghan

Footnote: the bike felt alot better after doing the carbs... :D
steidheadair

No man knows till he has suffered from the night how sweet and how dear to his heart and eye the morning can be.

Eogs Online photo album
Eogs facebook photography page

givitsum

Re: My first evening constitutional

Post by givitsum » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:12 pm

The 'Struie' is a crackin road right enough Eog. I used it a lot as a shortcut when I was visiting quarries in the north during a former life :D

Looks like the rain clouds were chasing you throughout your ride.

cheers - givit :thumbs:

JT
Paid up...
Paid up...

Post by JT » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:21 pm

Now then Eoghan

Sounds like you've found yourself the perfect evening ride there Mate :thumbs: Just the right amount of miles with a good selection of roads for a short blast 8) Pictures look moody with the clouds :respekt:
Yellow XJR SP 'Simply the Best'

RFdemon

Post by RFdemon » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:40 am

That route looks spot on fella! :thumbs:

Gotta hand it to you lot over the border, there's some fantastic scenery there. 8)

I spent yesterday evening looking at a suggested route up near Aberdeen (Tomintoul, Lecht, Glenshee, Pitlochry, Aviemore) on Google Maps Street View. Awesome, just awesome!!!

One day I'll get back there.
If hitting it with a hammer doesn't work, it must be electrical.

Modified motorcycles? http://disturbingthepeace.co.uk

2004 XJR1300 in black (of course!)
1999 4XV R1 in Kenny Roberts colours.