Cam chain tensioner - should I replace?

Want to know who to contact, or who on earth everyone is on here? This is the place to find out.

Moderators: RFdemon, Site Team

Archiexjr13
Paid up...
Paid up...
Antispam - What is 3 x 12?: 36

Cam chain tensioner - should I replace?

Post by Archiexjr13 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:21 pm

Hi All,

So After having a brand new 2000 XJR (in Blue) back in the day I decided I need one back in my life again, so I am the proud owner of "Big Red", she is a one owner 2000 model with 14500 on the clock.

She has been stood for 5 years but started with fresh fuel, albeit stuttering on load so after I ultrasonic'ed the carbs hopefully tomorrow she will run smoothly.

Question is - if there are no rattles or nasty noises would you recommend replacing the cam chain tensioner? I'm recomissioning everything else - new seals on the master cylinders, braided lines, new coils and leads & plugs, obviously oil and filter & maybe upgraded clutch springs as I have fitted a stage 1 dynojet kit, 4into 1 period remus exhaust and probably a 4mm advancer - will also check the valve clearances, new wheel bearings etc - especially as she had been stood for so long.

But am I best leaving well alone for the tensioner?, or is that a likely failure - I tend to "use" my bikes (ie cane them) and the thought of a lock up on a 600 Lb monster north of thee figures worries me, I don't bounce like I used to !

Thanks in advance
Doug

harris
Membership Sec
Membership Sec

Re: Cam chain tensioner - should I replace?

Post by harris » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:32 pm

First of all Archie, welcome!
At only 14.5 k I would leave the tensioner alone, never heard of one going with so few miles on the clock. Sounds a great job your doing there mate. Enjoy.

ewan
Paid up...
Paid up...
Antispam - What is 3 x 12?: 48

Post by ewan » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:31 am

Hi Doug as mick said i wouldn't touch it with that mileage :thumbs: not even run in yet :roll: :lol:
happiness is a big fat tyre :scotland:

Cats
Paid up...
Paid up...
Antispam - What is 3 x 12?: 48

Post by Cats » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:08 am

If you "use" your bikes as you say then maybe a manual cct would give you peace of mind.
https://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail. ... lTensioner
I hate cats. Really. Just stood in some camouflaged cat sh!t and walked it all through my caravan. Bastard things, i'm gonna kill, kill, kill.... :temper:

Archiexjr13
Paid up...
Paid up...

Post by Archiexjr13 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:47 pm

Hi All - many thanks for the replies, my first hunch was to leave well alone. so I shall do just that ! - have a great new year, hope to meet some on a run out in the spring.

Best
Doug