LED bulb

General forum for discussing all things biking. For Technical queries please DONT post here, check out the Workshop Sections. Please also don't post for sale / wanted in this area or they will be removed.

Moderators: RFdemon, Site Team

ogri48
Paid up...
Paid up...
Antispam - What is 3 x 12?: 36

LED bulb

Post by ogri48 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:32 pm

just over three years back I was commuting to Uni and back. It meant a lovely twisty road on the way down the mountain, then into Wales at Chepstow, over the Severn bridge back into England, and a fast last ten minutes on the motorway to Bristol. It was a brilliant run when I started in late summer on me fazer thou, but after xmas it was a different story altogether coming home. Once I got back to the base of the mountain, not only was it pitch black, but It was always wet, drizzly/rainy or misty going up it. I was going so slow sometimes I'd get cars up my arse, which made it even worse going as my mirrors filled up with their bleeding headlights. And I always seemed to get the idiots with the one cyclops unadjusted lamp that was on full beam instead of dip... :temper:
Anyhoo, i tried all manner of conventional bulbs, but then saw a post on the fazer forum for these really good 'safego' LEDs. not cheap (sixty quid the pair)but apparently very good.
That they were. They transformed every ride, and I could resume slaughtering every vehicle I came across instead of having them sitting up my chuff. Even more so I guess because the thou has two lights. Another benefit was people stopped pulling out in front of me, or wandering into the gap it is our god given right to use when filtering on a motorway full of poor b'ggers sitting stuck and motionless in their boxes. so I thought, I know, ill get some for the transit, cb13 and hardly dangerous. But I bought cheaper ones. Big mistake. they are ok on low beam, but high beam is hardly any different.
So when I bought one for the thirteen, I looked for a safego one again. They have evolved. instead of the fan being on the back of the bulb, its bike specific, so its on the front, so youve got no intrusion into the space for the wiring in the headlamp shell. And they are cheaper too, now £20 a bulb instead of thirty. Best of all, they are even better than the older ones (which are still going strong after three years and 16000 miles).heres the bulb, and before and after pics in the workshop, though yu cant really tell how much better they are without useing them out on the road. Far less current draw on the bike, and a lovely pure white light instead of an amber glow lolImage

ogri48
Paid up...
Paid up...

Re: LED bulb

Post by ogri48 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:35 pm

ImageImage

ogri48
Paid up...
Paid up...

Post by ogri48 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:36 pm

ImageImage

ewan
Paid up...
Paid up...
Antispam - What is 3 x 12?: 48

Post by ewan » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:08 am

sounds good paul :thumbs: where do you buy them :dontknow:
happiness is a big fat tyre :scotland:

ogri48
Paid up...
Paid up...

Post by ogri48 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:05 pm

it was ebay buddy, i'll find the link..

ogri48
Paid up...
Paid up...

Post by ogri48 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:11 pm

dammit I think they are out of stock :-(Image

Lampy
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Lampy » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:31 pm

LED or HID in a Halogen light unit is an MOT failure. They also blind every poor sod coming towards you.
Get osram night breakers you will be able to see further due to the fact it will give a correct beam pattern you won't blind people coming the other way and it won't invalidate your insurance because you have made your bike not road legal (yes they will if they can get out of a claim)
It's also safer because a blinding white light is difficult to judge how far away it is.
SO MANY LAMPOSTS...........so little time . . . . STUPID PLACE TO PUT A WALL WASNT IT !!!!!
OH DEER !!!!

chairman@yamahaxjrownersclub.com

geran
Paid up...
Paid up...

Post by geran » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:36 am

I have the type Lampy mentions, not sure what they are actually called, but it has been fitted for years no issues, they were a tenner from memory but that's a few years ago.
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul. Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

XJR 1300
Zephyr 750

Chris

ewan
Paid up...
Paid up...
Antispam - What is 3 x 12?: 48

Post by ewan » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:32 am

Lampy wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:31 pm
LED or HID in a Halogen light unit is an MOT failure. They also blind every poor sod coming towards you.
Get osram night breakers you will be able to see further due to the fact it will give a correct beam pattern you won't blind people coming the other way and it won't invalidate your insurance because you have made your bike not road legal (yes they will if they can get out of a claim)
It's also safer because a blinding white light is difficult to judge how far away it is.
there's always one spoil sport :roll: :lol: :lol:
happiness is a big fat tyre :scotland:

Lampy
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Lampy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:04 am

Not a spoilsport just one of the poor bastards who gets a retina taken out by someone coming the other way running these.
Halogen lamps are design to work with Halogen bulbs thats why the lens is designed the way it is.
Anything else and there is so much light 'scatter' the projected beam image goes nowhere.
Lighthouses can be seen from miles away and they run on what is basicly a 40w bulb.
It's not how much light it's how far it's projected that counts.
It's why snipers don't use shotguns :wickedgrin:
SO MANY LAMPOSTS...........so little time . . . . STUPID PLACE TO PUT A WALL WASNT IT !!!!!
OH DEER !!!!

chairman@yamahaxjrownersclub.com