The return of the Beast

General forum for discussing all things biking. For Technical queries please DONT post here, check out the Workshop Sections. Please also don't post for sale / wanted in this area or they will be removed.

Moderators: RFdemon, Site Team

rebbelos
Antispam - What is 3 x 12?: 48

The return of the Beast

Postby rebbelos » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:56 pm

Hello again peeps!!!

It’s been over a year since my last visit to this forum and boy have things changed, both on the forum and in my personal life as well!! Of course, the fundamentals never change, the XJR still rules!

First of all I would like to say hi to all the familiar faces of old and to all the new ones that have joined in the past year.

For those of you that have followed my little baby’s evolution, this is how you should remember her, as she was in March 07.

To repeat some basic info, it’s a blow through turbocharger system operating between 0.5 Bar (7.2 psi) and 0.9 Bar (13 psi) boost with a compression ratio of 9.5:1, depending on what mood you are in…Basic engine mods include Falicon con rods, forged Wiseco pistons, Keihin FCR 39 Flat slides, Barnet Clutch Conversion with custom heavy duty springs. Other goodies include Ohlins USD forks (04 – 06 R1), swing arm (04 – 06 R1) with Ohlins fully adjustable rear shocks, full brembo braking system (including titanium – magnesium racing calipers, 320mm floating discs, braided hoses and 18x19 pump), braided hose and high pressure pump for the clutch (brembo), gale speed wheels, Ohlins steering damper, Translogic Quickshifter and Akrapovic carbon tri oval exhaust can.

To give you a better idea, here are the figures from a dyno run at low boost.

And here is a video of the actual run.

You can imagine that last summer was full of INTENSE experiences on the road!!! Despite the frightening numbers of hp and torque, the beast proved that it handled sweetly on the road, even on the twisty bits, as long as you had respect for it and your right wrist had surgical precision. Power wheelies at over 200km/h were a common occurrence and sliding with top gear was business as usual. Of course, top speed is still a mystery until today, acceleration remains mind boggling at over 280km/h but every second becomes a century and you just can’t hold on to the bugger any more!!!! Bear in mind that I have a Fat Bar installed, so the riding position is awful for warp speed.

Summer was passing by and I was getting ready for a trip to the Czech Republic to watch the Brno MotoGP race and visit friends, when the first stroke of bad luck appeared. When I first bought the bike back in 03 (2nd hand), one of the first things I did was add a plastic coating inside the fuel tank, because the bike had been idle for over a year. Apparently, this coating could not withstand the pressure of fuel returning to the tank, resulting in FLAKING that blocked the fuel line to the carbs!!!! The risk of losing the engine when under boost was very high, so the only bullet proof solution was to buy a new tank. This meant that I had to forget about my custom red/white colour scheme, reverting to a rather dull looking all black!

The trip to Brno and back went smoothly, despite facing diverse conditions from a hailstorm to extremely high temps stuck in traffic.

Upon my return, a new set of tyres was needed (after 5,000kms) so I had a bit of fun before the new ones were fitted.

The winter that followed was quite mild weather-wise, even for Greek standards, so that allowed me to clock a total of 15,000km until last weekend….

(YES, that’s another turbocharged XJR, the bug is contagious!!!)

Plans for this summer included a trip to Italy and southern France, but AGAIN, bad luck made a strong come back in the middle of the summer. I had the wonderful opportunity to familiarize myself with a new engineering term…. DETONATION!!!
To make a long story short, poor octane fuel caused irregular combustion at wide open throttle and maximum load (top speed), resulting in this mess….

That’s the bottom view of my cylinder head, cylinders 2 and 3 (the ones in the middle that have to resist the most heat)

A close up of #3 that suffered the heaviest damage.

A close up of piston #3.

A close up of piston #2

You can easily spot the sand like particles of metal that were molten off the piston and the cylinder head, traveling like a cloud through the exhaust valves and through the turbine, destroying that as well… 

That was 6 days ago….

I am now past the initial stage of shock….

Orders have been already placed and I am waiting for the first engine parts to arrive next week… The plan is to have it on the road again as soon as possible. Design changes include using a larger output turbine at low boost and at a slightly lower compression ratio, and the looks of the bike will become more extreme, returning to the classic red/white colour scheme, without an exhaust (!!!) and with a dragster like launch control system fitted!!!!!

Of course, I have also ordered a barrel of high octane racing fuel to keep in my garage!! It’s insane, but that’s the only way to make sure I wont fall victim of poor quality fuel, a serious issue even for standard engines here in Greece!!! If you look at the last pics again, you will note the excess carbon residue on my pistons just after 15000kms!!!!!

Now it’s back to the waiting game, a familiar situation to anyone who has chosen to go down the precarious road of tuning the tits off his machine :P

Anyway, nice to be back and see a live community of happy xjr owners happy and growing…

Daz

Re: The return of the Beast

Postby Daz » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:00 pm

Not read it yet, but bloody good to see ya back mate :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Daz
With God on your side, does it matter who is against you :thumbs2:

My New Gallery 2

Daz

Postby Daz » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:10 pm

Bloody hell mate you have a streak of bad luck :( :( :( :(

Well hope that things are better from here on out.. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Really great to hear from you again mate :D :D

Daz
With God on your side, does it matter who is against you :thumbs2:

My New Gallery 2

Absynth
Antispam - What is 3 x 12?: 36

Postby Absynth » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:14 pm

Blimey!! :shock:

V.technical stuff, didn't read it all as don't understand the techie stuff at all.

Great to see you back again matey :hug:
"Those who can laugh without cause have either found the true meaning of happiness or have gone stark raving mad".

It ain't easy bein green :wickedgrin:

Mick

Postby Mick » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:17 pm

Nice to see you back Rebb, shame about the bike, but look forward to
your reports on the rebuild. :thumbs:

reeseyboy

Postby reeseyboy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:31 pm

Man that bike still does it for me! Welcome back hombre!
Whoa, mamma!!!

dalton

Postby dalton » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:34 pm

Nice to see you back Reb thought you had left us for good, think it looked better in White tho :thumbs: :thumbs:
If i ever grow up i wanna be like me dad

Scoot
Paid up...
Paid up...

Postby Scoot » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:49 pm

dalton wrote:Nice to see you back Reb thought you had left us for good, think it looked better in White tho :thumbs: :thumbs:

Good to see ya back, Agree with Dalton much better in the white i think :thumbs:

zoe

Postby zoe » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:54 pm

Good to see you back :thumbs:
Real loss only occurs when you lose something you love more than yourself

Zoe

ratty

Postby ratty » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:59 pm

Hello Rebellos

Have read all of your old posts with great interest, lovely bike, I even like it in Black :thumbs:

hairy
Paid up...
Paid up...

Postby hairy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:06 pm

Hi Reb, glad to see your back and still keeping the beast on the road, bad luck with the engine problems and look forward to seeing the latest developments unravel :thumbs:
New and used XJR parts - http://xjrparts.co.uk

simon

Postby simon » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:18 pm

Reb glad your back mate. Still the coolest xjr for me. When you get it fixed can i have a go :wickedgrin:
SIMON.

Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, the experience
usually comes from bad judgment.

johnp

Postby johnp » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:27 pm

costas :thumbs: ,nice to hear from you again,shame about the bike,but it can be fixed.

jp
is there any other gollywogs out there

rebbelos

Postby rebbelos » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:56 pm

Nice to be back, thanks for the warm welcome folks.

Spirits are running high in anticipation of the new rebuild :twisted: :twisted:

The tough part is finding the mental strength not to over do it when its back on the road...

Joe

Postby Joe » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:22 pm

At last, the loonatic returns.Nice to see you back Reb, shame about the mishaps but i'm sure you'll get it sorted.

Is the other one in the pics similar spec???

joe

rebbelos

Postby rebbelos » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:04 pm

Joe wrote:Is the other one in the pics similar spec???

Yes, it belongs to a good friend of mine and its based on the same principle with a few variations, eg the use of an external waste gate by turbonetics, bigger turbocharger (MC Express), etc. It was recently featured in a greek bike mag, check out a few pics.

Scoot
Paid up...
Paid up...

Postby Scoot » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:08 pm

Nice, but liked the white 1 better, different over this neck of the woods :thumbs:

zoe

Postby zoe » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:12 pm

yellow is definatly growing on me not sure about the wheels though :scratch:
Real loss only occurs when you lose something you love more than yourself

Zoe

jimmyocharlie

Postby jimmyocharlie » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:16 pm

cool :drunk: